Before my run in with "The Virus" I was working on making a new mug bag to take my mug to Patchwork meetings. As I said before I have a lovely bag that is somewhere "safe", but , not knowing where "safe" is I needed a new one. I liked my 'lovely bag" so decided to base the design on that and as I wasn't feeling well when I started I would just use fabric I had in my stash, also, as the mug had an Australian Native Flower printed on it I would look for those kind of fabrics.
The only fabric I could find that fitted this criteria was some Furnishing Weight fabric that was printed with May Gibbs "Bush Babies". I proceeded to 'fussy cut' out panels of this.
Then to find the co-ordinating fabric. Once again, only one match. This time a small remnant of Tilda fabric I had collected but this was a light weight.
And them I cam across some stripped fabric that matched, another weight of fabric from the other two. I immediately knew I was going to have problems putting three different weights of fabric into a project. But, I could handle this.
This bag design is basically a rectangle, which is then folded into three parts, the 2 sides, and the base. You insert the side pieces of fabric on the base rounding of the corners to make the insersion easier, and then attach either side of the insert to the sides of the rectangle, Add some handles and then bind the edges with a "quilters binding". " Easy Peasy" I little more difficult when you are using different weights of fabric.
The size of my bag was dictated by those fussy cut panels but you could just use any fabric and make it the size of your mug.
I just used a hair tie for the loop to close the top. An elastic casing at the top of the side panel, that I cut on the fold at the top edge and then stitched the casing holds this nicely. But if you are not fussy about seeing the underside of the fabric you could just sew an ordinary casing and save fabric.
I would have made the bag a bit smaller if I was using other fabric but I decided to add a couple of pockets inside to hold extra things.
So now I am all ready for when Patchwork meetings recommence. I have enclosed a PDF drawing of the measurements I used to make this bag.
Download Jan Mug Bag