I could have stitched so much more on these pieces. From my initial response I have found this the most enjoyable and thought provoking process.
That fabric dried as 3 different, but similar colours.
I thought at first it would be too stiff to work with but It was more similar to fabric that is highly starched rather than thick and stiff. I think that must be a feature of the acrylic paint. As I said in my post about the disaster of painting them, I had used the expensive even weave linen, but this turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I started to work with them.
I started designing with a series of shapes. Nothing fancy, just the basic shapes.
From these I selected the three most likely and decided on the last one I had drawn. I then moved on to making a pattern that would fit the seed pods I had selected. Actual observance of each pod revealed that I would be able to incorporate embroidery into the design.
I started with the largest seed pod and the opening in the fabric reflected its shape. The embroidery was just straight stitch lines and some very small beads to mirror the texture of the surface.
I didn't have the right kind of cord or wire that Debbie Lyddon used so just had to improvise with what was at hand. This resulted in selecting a button hole finish to reinforce the opening. I had wanted to tie a knot at the bottom but the stiffness of the fabric saw me just not turning it all the way through. I then moved onto the large gum nuts.
I love gum nuts. When ever I find a fallen branch of these they come home to my "interesting things" table that I keep for the girls. The blooms are beautiful and range through a whole lot of colours.
They look a bit daggy when they start to die.
But dry to these wonderful shapes that have so much texture. This was the inspiration for the shape of my vessels. I made a round opening and the gum nut just sat there when I dropped it in. I used a variation on feather stitch all over the little container, front and back.
Because I had used even weave fabric the embroidery was very enjoyable and got me thinking about how I could use it in the third container.
This container was for the little seed pods. Some of the biggest trees,
have the smallest seed pods. These are photographed on a 32 thread count (threads to the inch) linen.
The birds rip the branches off to get to the nectar and if they are cockatoos the ground below the trees are covered with small branches and flowers.
There seems to be an infinite number of varieties and colours.
The question was how would I stitch this? I selected eyelet stitch. There are so many ways you can stitch this. I tried out a few on the back of the container.
If I had more time I would have stitched every variation in all the different shades of the bush. (See that even weave fabric was a blessing.)
For this container I used 3 openings and different types of drawn thread work.
Because the seeds were so small I put handfuls of then in and different ones show their faces in each opening.
I have decided to put a peg board on the end of the cupboard next to the "interesting things" table and make lots of different containers to hold some of these things.
I think they look so much more interesting hanging and the seed pods inside fill out the shape.
My "interesting things" table is great but I think a hanging display will be better. Now onto the next class. I have one day to clean up the mess I have made.