September 20, 2022
I thought that I would put some things into those soft baskets I made and have started with a coaster. I might have over designed it and I think I will make a few adjustments to the pattern.
I started with the left over fabric that I had made the bags from and used insilbrite as the padded layer between the fabrics.
I layered up my front, back and wadding, sewed around the shape I had selected and turned it through. I used a 100 weight thread to sew the opening closed. That part was straight forward.
Then I wanted a circle in the middle to make a kind of saucer for the mug. To do this I made a couple of templates for the shapes.
One I made a bit bigger and after applying visofix to the back of the fabric, cut out the shape. I used a wadding with an adhesive on one side which was slightly smaller in size.
I then sewed a line of gathering stitches around my fabric and put the wadding inside this and pulled it up around the shape.
After finding the centre of the coaster,
I was able to press this in position, were it stuck because of the adhesive, and sew around the edge without it moving.
I was going to use some of the left over quilted fabric to make a mock tea bag but I think this would drive me crazy.
So It is just going to be used without that piece.
Now to make the real ones.
I agree with you about the tea-bag - a cute idea, but potentially exasperating!
Posted by: Rachel | September 22, 2022 at 07:51 PM
Posted by: Carolyn Foley | September 25, 2022 at 02:33 PM