I made a hexigon quilt back when my daughter was still at school. Every saturday I would watch her play soccer and hand stitch hexigons. I forgot about how many I stitched and in the end had enough for a Queen sized quilt. I had it on the bed in the guest bedroom and it has always been one of my favourties.
When we sold the house I put it on my bed in the townhouse. My daughter was living there doing her PHd at the time and unbeknown to me her dog, Chester, must have got into my room and slept on my bed. Trouble is he didn't only sleep, he peed on my quilt. I didn't discover this until last week when the weather turned cold and I got the quilt out to put on the bed in town. There was this terrible yellow stain on my quilt.
Chester has been dead for a few years now, so the quilt has sat in the draw 'fermenting'. I brought it home to the island to try and rescue it. I started with washing, no difference, then soaking, but, no difference, I added bleach, no difference. Finally I made a paste of bleach and Sarb fabric stain remover and painted it onto the white fabric, not the floral. Now, it hasn't taken all the stain out and if you look closely you can see it but I think I have saved the quilt.
I didn't realise how attached to this quilt I am. I had always thought of it being handed on as a heirloom and all that hand stitching!
I bet Chester is saying, "What me?"
(Still love you Chester.)