I have only spent a week on this design, I thought it would take a lot longer to get the bugs out. But, I now have a working version and have completed the finishing.
I wasn't sure how I would get this to be functional as both a needle keeper and a container for pins.
I have added a little ribbon tab between the embroidery and the lining.
You can pull on this and the little cushion just pops out.
I found a scrap of Liberty cotton fabric to act as the lining at the back of the cushion. Liberty is a fine lawn and easily manipulated fabric and adds a nice touch to the piece. I think that I can improve on the construction of this pillow. I only had fibre-fill, cardboard and tacky glue but I think I will make one with a balsa wood frame.
Now onto the next design.