I have taken a range of fabrics that I want to use for my portrait embroideries and tested the paints and pens that I have. I didn't know that I had so many, enough for a whole box full.
I tried to keep the test consistent by replicating the same paints and pencil tests on each test fabric.
I used 2 different types of linen, 2 cottons and one cotton/linen mix. The results for each were predictable according to the fabric fibre source but just how each product performed was not. This will be a valuable resource for future work. Hopefully this will cut down on mistakes in the future but one can never be 100% sure. In fact I think this is activity has been an exercise in procrastination on my part. I just don't want to start. I hate making mistakes but you never learn unless you take a chance.
I might put this away now and do some quilting.