We are all in a 3 day lock down to counter the virus, shame the teenagers and those in their 20's seem to think they are exempt here on the island. I hate having to wear a mask but I know there is a good reason for it. I feel like a bit of a dork walking alone with the dog down the bush tracks wearing a mask. Then when I get back on the road there are all these young ones with no masks. I feel like dobbing them into the police. There is a $200 fine for non mask wearing.
I am spending my time doing some more work on my Sue Stone class. This first class in this module asked for us to use just 3 shades of the one colour, and fill 3 areas after we stitched our outline. This is my finished piece and I have to say I learnt a lot from the class. (I have it soaking at the moment to remove the pen marks.)
I used three shades of green, this lady's surname is Green so that had to be the colour I used.
The mid green was just a normal dress making thread, I needed this to do the details and then it came in handy for lots of other stitching.
My embroidery threads have been on these cards for some time and although they store well those krinkles are annoying.
Solution, a piece of damp kitchen sponge. Run the thread over it and it is straight. It dries in no time so you don't have to stop stitching.
The outline and features offered no problems but when it came to filling the three areas I had to put my thinking cap on. I started with the hair and used the reflection of the light to inform my stitching, using couching to put a little kink in the hair and the light colour for the high-lights. When is came to the other two areas I had to be a bit more inventive. Normally open filling stitches are worked on an even weave fabric and you count the threads to achieve that even look. I was not using an even weave fabric. For the scarf I wanted to use Star Filling stitch for the filling. This is normally stitched in three colours so it suited my brief.
To overcome the fact that the fabric wasn't an even weave I charted the first stitch on some graph paper and then traced it onto tissue paper and mounted it over the area I wanted to stitch then stitched through the paper.
The only problem with using tissue paper is getting it out from under the stitches. I use a very sharp needle and score the paper in both direction, then remove the paper with tweasers.
It can be messy and you have to have patience but it works. If you do a big area the mess afterwards is the problem.
I then came back and finished the other two layers of stitching. This achieves that regular look I was wanting.
For the other area the figure is in front of a chain wire fence. The light had distorted the chain pattern so I used a water soluble pen to chart my grid and then stitched. I think I got that distortion just right.
Now I think I will return to my knitting for a rest.