For this exercise I did exactly what I was instructed to do. I traced the picture, turning the image upside down so that I wouldn't be tempted to just sketch. It worked. I used stranded cotton, 2 strands for layer 1, 1 strand for layer 2 and 100wt sewing cotton for layer 3. I also included some other stitches beside back stitch on the flowers.
It doesn't look finished to me. It needs a background and I think I would have made those flowers around the neckline separately and then mounted them in relief. Still, I proved I can follow instructions. The next classes are about stitching features such as eyes, teeth etc. Doing exactly what is asked for might see me learning new techniques.