I think I now have all the place-mats I need, I just have to finish sewing them. One of the criteria I had set myself for these mats was that I wasn't to buy any fabric. I could only use what was in the stash. The last set saw me rummaging around and I found some old fabric that I had bought from Ikea. It was a linen type fabric that was pre-sewn as a runner. You just had to cut off the length you wanted and then hem the ends.
It has meant that I have had to un-pic the edges and the fabric is a bit light but I have come up with a way to use it. Looking through the scrap bin I found a cat fabric that I thought would be good for an applique. So, using the design on the fabric, I drew up a cat template, which I have included as a free download. Download Cats I printed this out onto light card so that I could use it as is and in reverse, then ironed some Visofix onto the back of the fabric and traced the design onto the paper side and cut out the shape using small scissors.
As I have 8 mats I determined the position of the applique and marked this with pins. (Just to make sure everyone would look the same.
I removed the paper on the back of the shape by scoring it with a pin. My supplies are rather old and the adhesive sometimes lifts. Removing it this way means that I can keep it mostly in tact.
The Ikea linen doesn't have a lot of body to it and I would normally stabilize the fabric first but this time I just machine buttonholed it straight onto the batting using a 50 weight cotton in the top thread. When I added the backing fabric I then stitched around the shape again in straight stitch. (You could of course just buttonhole around the edge by hand but if you wanted to use needle turn you would have to include an allowance all the way around.) Because of the lack of body in the fabric I choose a backing fabric that had a little more weight.
I sewed in the details using a straight stitch but found that I had to add a bit of felt for the eyes as they were hard to see. I was going to cross hatch the quilting but quite liked this look.
Only 7 more to go and I am going to play around with different coloured threads and play things for the cat. This one has a flower, I have fish, balls, and other cat playthings in mind. The end of this project is in sight. Now I'm thinking about my challenge for 2020.