Frustration reins supreme.
And because of that I have been taking more steps backwards than forwards.
My Kogin bag is now finished. As you might remember I wanted to incorporate leather into the finished bag but after many attempts I had to admit that I just couldn't sew it on a domestic machine. The hemp fabric is too stiff and the thickness of it and the leather were just too much. So, I then tried to insert a zipper but to no avail. I am not giving up on this idea but it will be for something else. I ended up binding the top edge with a heading tape and using a hand made button with a loop closure. As this is a class sample I had to also consider just how students would construct the bag. This I think is a good compromise and "doable."
With all the baby sitting and stress I have been stitching cross stitch like mad. I am still behind but I have managed to get quite a bit done. The thread and fabric contrast even better than I thought they would. But, one draw back with stitching with silk thread is you have to be extra careful not to make mistakes that require unpicking. The silk complains terribly and then dies! (the screams are quite off putting.)