I have decided to add a new piece of stitching to that great bundle that I already have in progress and I know this may not be a wise thing to do. My reason for doing it is that I want something that I can just pick up and take with me to Guild stitching days. One of the members, Katherine, has a piece of cross stitch that she just stitches on meeting days. I thought I would take a leaf out of her book. So I have decided to take part in the Mystery SAL that is being run by Jacob through his blog at Modern Folk Embroidery.
I have bought the first pattern, for the princely sum of .75p, "The four seasons - A Primitive Quaker year", and am now preparing the fabric and thread.
Just to be a bit different, and because I have the fabric sitting in the draw, I have decided to use a dyed 32 count linen that I bought some time ago and I have also decided to use silk thread. Another of those "it may not be wise" decisions.
The thread is from Kaalund Yarns and comes in 12 strands. I thought 2 strands might not give me the coverage I want but after stitching a few stitches with 3 strands then some with 2 strands, I think the 2 strands is the way to go.
There is 10 metres on a skein of the silk. The instructions say I need 180metres of stranded thread or 17.5 to 22.5 skeins of DMC stranded cotton. I think I can get away with 3 skeins of the silk but had better buy 4 or 5 of the same dye lot. Oh dear, the thread is going to be expensive!
This is going to be a big piece, 70cm X 50cm. Now I just have to wait for the shops to re-open to buy the thread.