No time like the present, so I have started on the Xmas cards.
I found my bundle of rectangle ivory textured three panel cards and envelopes and then dug out a plastic bag full of left over pieces of embroidery linen. I cut these into rectangles approx 10cm x 11cm and then over-locked the edges.
These will sit behind the opening which is 6cm x 8.5cm. I started by drawing an approximate design on that piece of card that came out of the opening to get an approximation of the size of the design.
The first piece is a 32 count natural linen. There is going to be lots of different counts amongst these scraps so I will have to adjust the designs to suit. I have decided to use Kaaland Yarn's silk variegated threads to stitch these pieces because the threads are just so beautiful. The first designs are going to be very simple shapes and a variety of stitches.
So here is my first card. I used three strands of silk in the colour, watercolour. The stitch is Eastern Stitch which I stitched over 4 threads. A few back stitches made the trunk and the base is a scrap of felt and a glitter star glued on the top of the tree.
These are quick and easy to stitch so I did another straight away. Same everything, except the thread colour, only this time I used Algerian Eye Stitch.
This is a great way to use up those small left over pieces and I think this falls into the category of "Silly Stitching". Great for stitching whilst you chat and there isn't a lot of thought involved in the stitching. Plus the advantage of almost instant gratification.