Every year my cottage patchwork group set a challenge for our Mother's Day breakfast. This year our gift was to be a piece of recycling. All my old doilies are in storage so I made a trip up to St. Vinnies in Toowoomba. ( You have to admit that was a great excuse to go to Toowoomba?) They didn't have a lot on offer I'm afraid and the piece I selected was very used and thread-bare. Before I cut it up I stablised it by applying wisperweft to the wrong side.
If you haven't used this before Thread Magazine has a good article here. Another thing that always takes me aback is the difference in retail price between the same product in Australia, $12, compared to the USA $4. (Some one is making a lot of profit or maybe there are multiple middle men.)
I cut the lace off the edge to use around the seam and although it was scalloped it still seemed to work. I then fussy cut up my pieces cutting around the holes. I wanted to make a little bag you could hang so decided on making a tea cup that could be hung by the handle. I put some small scissors and a reel of thread inside.
To give the fabric a bit more strength I also insterted some wadding and quilted this. I don't think that fabric will rip now. Because I added to lace I couldn't get the zipper inserted the way I wanted but it still looked ok even if that lace was a bit wonky. It was such a pretty doily I'm glad it now has a new lease on life.