Hishizahsi Project No 8
Tote Bag with Continuous Pattern
This is not a quick project, there is a lot of stitching in this one and it was testing working across a lot of different motives. I stitched this bag onto the curtain fabric (22 thread to 1") that I bought last year because I wanted to use the new hand dyed Sashiko thread that I bought from Indigo Niche. It was just wasn't right on the Hemp fabric (18 threads to 1") and I thought that the motives would looked better a bit smaller. You will find that a half metre of 20 count Zeigart linen (Cork) is big enough for the bag and would give you a similar effect .
Because the fabric has such a 'drape' I have attached a light iron on pellum wadding to the lining, which is a patchwork cotton fabric. I thought about using webbing for the handles but it just didn't look right, so have made the handles from the main fabric.
I could have stitched straight across the width of the fabric (which could still be done) but I wanted to see how the pattern would work on a conventionally constructed tote bag. (That is with two side seams.) To do this I machined one side seam before I started and made this the middle of my pattern, then out to the other side seam in both directions but stopping just before the last motive. When I had completed all of the pattern, bar this motive, I stitched the remaining side seam and then came back and finished the missing section. This was how I was able to achieve the continuous pattern that looks as though it was stitched in the round.
If you want to achieve the same look on a different count fabric you will need to adjust the width of your bag or add or subtract motives depending on the count of your fabric. By starting at the side seam, or the point on your fabric where the side seam would lie, it isn't difficult to achieve this look.
What was difficult was printing such a large pattern. It was just too big for 1 sheet of A4 paper. The pattern is over 2 sheets of paper and there is an over lap so that it can be pasted to make 1 sheet (Part A&B). This is great to see the whole pattern but a bit small for the motives so I have included these in a larger format (Part C).
As I said this isn't an easy piece to stitch but it does give a nice result.