I started by tacking out the hems, this time I wanted the hem wider so counted 20 threads either side of the finished size tacking line. I embroidered the hem before I set it. I probably could have taken more care in the spacing of the flowers but time was limited and I still spent far more time than I could afford. (4 hours)
Next I mitred the corners (see hem 2) and tacked the hems in position. To catch the edges I used an semi-invisible hem stitch. To start the thread I inserted the needle through the fold and caught it with a small back stitch in the hem, doing the reverse when I finished.
I worked with the edge of the hem facing away from me. The needle slides inside the hem fold for about 1cm,
and then 1 thread is picked up from the main fabric.
This gives a raised edge to your hem which sits like a frame around your work.