Another Textile Artist that I admire, Sue Stone. I have been following her work for a few years now but up until now the classes have been out of my price range. As have all the artist that have been involved in this Stitch Club. I was looking on line and saw that Emily Tull is coming to the "Fibre Forum" in Geelong, Victoria. I would love to go but the cost of travel, accommodation and class put the cost at about $3000 Australian Dollars. My $40 per month for 3 classes is much better value.
So, I haven't completed anything to date but I have started two pieces.
Piece No 1 sees me just about finished weaving the fabric strips into a background. On this one I have used all recycled materials. I even took the drastic step of using some embroidered pieces. They were all damaged pieces and I then tea dyed them before cutting them up. The backing piece is an old embroidered mat.
I have started to stitch some texture in place and have used the old pieces of embroidery for this as well.
At this point I ran into a problem. I was going to embroider a line drawing of my mother. I started with an old photo and did about three drawings until I came up with something that looked something like her. This I found a lot harder than I thought it would be.
Then Charlie became ill and I became emotional and all the issues that I have held onto for over 50 years surfaced, so I put it aside.
But the exercise still has to be done. "Use three fabrics to weave the background and no more than three different coloured threads for your stitching".
So I am trying a different approach. This time I did a line of machine stitching around the woven strips which are a bit smaller than the first piece and I started with the line drawing. Much better, I even got a fairly good likeness of my subject but I still need to refine this. I found I just couldn't stitch teeth, so the mouth isn't right and her eye brows are darker than they are in real life. It is one thing to draw the portrait and quite another to stitch it. The stitching took a lot longer than I thought it would. I have used one stand of DMC stranded cotton and machine thread. I think on the next one I will use silk thread as well. Using different weights of thread helps with the detail. I still have a lot more stitching to do on this one and a lot more practice until I will be happy with the result.
Then I have 20 portraits of my quilting friends and the original piece to finish so maybe by that time I will have improved a bit or gone crazy trying.